Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Unsteady Wardrobe Relations

This post should have been posted in April, but I just couldn’t get to it.
I’m not very good at asking for help, but have been very lucky with support for my first film Search Dog’s Raven. However, I’m in an ethical quagmire. A relative has graciously offered to sew much of the wardrobe, for which she will be paid when we sell the film. However, getting the items on time has caused a lot of stress. Despite months and months of lead time, they often arrive at the very last minute covered in loose threads and pet fur. And they aren’t always as requested. Sometimes she lays new pieces on the carpet, further adding to the hair. This greatly increases my work load as I need to remove the fur before actors wear them. Fleece garments are especially bad, some taking several hours to clean. I cannot seem to get the point across. When I do, her response is that she agreed to sew them, not to clean them. This, I am finding, is the dilemma of the first time independent filmmaker. Getting free help, without alienating relationships with all your family and friends.

November 29 PS: Despite all the stress, and all the unnecessary work, the wardrobe for Search Dog’s Raven was quite extensive for an independent film. I now feel a bit guilty about complaining and should just be grateful that someone was helping me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home