Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Film vs Digital

One of my old 35mm canon A1 still cameras croaked. I bought it used when I was in my teens, so guess I’m lucky it survived this long. Likely just needs cleaning, but I’m holding off for now.
Recently bought a Canon Rebel 8MP digital SLR, which has certainly helped me out. It’s amazing how many photos you suddenly need when making a film. Weird things like adding an image of a chain to the poster and needing the photo at 3 am in the morning. Or taking photos of an actor who has a small part that you are filming after the fact. Though nothing will replace film, especially slide images, I certainly like the instant accessibility of digital. Plus taking ten rolls of film, only to discover your old camera malfunctioned into the second roll, makes digital that much more appealing. Plus no developing, scanning or waiting.
My upcoming film Search Dog’s Raven is a mixture of 35mm, HD and SD. I’m also starting to see the benefits of the digital realm in film making as well as still photography. Whenever I need an additional shot or need to add a small effect, I just shoot and digitize. Whereas additional 35mm shots are now out of our budget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home